Xandr is a technology platform powering one of the largest global Advanced TV and Video advertising marketplaces in the industry. For more than a decade, our data insights, premium content, powerful technology, and scaled direct-to-consumer distribution have given us a competitive edge — leading us to improving advertising for brands, publishers, and consumers.
How do we do this? With talented, passionate people like you! We bring together people from diverse backgrounds and give them an opportunity to bring their ideas to life. Join our community to Make Advertising Better!
The Data Science team at Xandr is responsible for driving algorithmic product innovation across the company. Our projects underlie major features for both buyers and sellers on our platform, as well as the marketplace design for our ad exchange itself. We combine elements of theory with the practical tools and techniques for exploring vast quantities of data, all with the aim of designing effective algorithms to achieve product goals. Data Science partners closely with Engineering, Product, and Data Analytics to ensure that our solutions are solving the right business problem, are scaling as needed, and are achieving the expected results for our clients.
As a team, we have a diverse set of backgrounds (math, physics, engineering, operations research, statistics, econometrics, political science) and a spectrum of credentials (about half have PhDs). Our culture centers on collaborating, continuously learning and teaching, and producing effective solutions for our users, whether they rely on elegant theory or simple heuristics and empirical evidence. We love that our contributions further Xandr’s position as a pioneer and thought leader in the AdTech industry, but we measure our efforts based on the impact and value we create for our clients and internal teammates.
The Data Scientist role is perfect for someone who is passionate about combining deep technical understanding, broad domain knowledge, and creative problem-solving skills to design products that make a measurable impact for our users.
- Use machine learning techniques, visualizations, statistical analysis, etc. to gain insight into various data sets – some of which are readily available, and some of which you create and curate yourself
- Participate in the full lifecycle of algorithm-based feature development: researching and designing solutions, running tests with clients and performing deep analyses to understand results, implementing scalable solutions in production environments, and monitoring platform-wide impact
- Collaborate with team members, both to build out specific projects and to continuously teach and learn new technology and techniques
- Communicate findings and solutions clearly to a variety of audiences, e.g. writing clear, comprehensive specs for engineers or explaining algorithmic concepts to product managers
- Actively seek out a broad understanding of the Xandr platform and products, and align design efforts with that context
- Work independently with minimal supervision but high accountability
- PhD in a relevant quantitative field, or 1-3 years relevant applied research or industry experience
- Basic programming experience – we primarily use Python and SQL, but you may have experience in R, MATLAB, or another language
- Experience with machine learning techniques is a plus
- Proven excellence at formulating, understanding, and solving complex, non-routine quantitative problems
- Aptitude for learning new theory and new technology
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Hands-on attitude toward problem-solving, including a willingness to dig into terabytes of data and quickly construct tools or models
- Ability to work in a highly interactive, collaborative, fluid environment
More About You
- You are passionate about a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- You are relentless when looking for solutions to complex problems, and your grit serves you well when analyzing and debugging the root cause of unexpected results
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing knowledge and tools
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage
- Flexible time off including volunteer days, vacation, and holidays
- Professional development resources and education reimbursement
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness reimbursement
- AT&T internet/phone and HBOMax discounts
- 401k with company match
Xandr strives to foster a diverse, inclusive and engaging work environment. Our inclusivity in action includes:
- Staying connected and embracing this new normal as we work from home - we may be social distancing but we're #InsideTogether
- Creating meaningful change for our communities and pathways for future generations of diverse talent through our employee volunteerism efforts
- Sharing insight and stories on what it’s really like to work here
- Partnering with organizations to support our commitment to women’s advancement in tech
- Providing accommodations for persons with disabilities, both for interviewees and for employees. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know and we’ll make arrangements
Xandr, its products and its executives have received several prestigious awards. In 2020 alone, Cablefax's annual The Faxies awards named Xandr’s EVP and GM Innovator of the Year and the Xandr technology organization Tech Team of the Year. In the same year, seven female executives were included in the Cynopsis list of Top Women in Media, and several of its products, innovations and client partnerships were recognized by esteemed outlets globally, including AdExchanger, Digiday, The Drum, ExchangeWire and Cynopsis. Concurrently, the company’s dedication to corporate social responsibility was recognized in Fast Company’s 2020 World Changing Ideas issue. Xandr was also included on Business Insider's Hottest AdTech Companies list in 2019 and 2018.
Xandr is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.